Friday, January 18, 2008

Three very different movies, all with startling degrees of awesomeness

Hopefully I'll get to post these full reviews next week, but over the last couple weeks I've seen Starting Out in the Evening, Cloverfield and I'm Not There.

How I missed I'm Not There when it first came out is something I'm still trying to reconcile, but alas. I've seen it now and I'm actually a better, more inspired person for it. Honest. I think it just might be Cate Blanchett's best performance.

Starting Out in the Evening stars Frank Langella in, what I believe, is the most phenomenal performance by a male lead in any film from the last year. Lili Taylor is lovely and vibrant as a woman facing 40 trying to figure out her life. A great, intellectual film that makes you want to go home and dig out that book you've been working on sporadically since college.

And, Cloverfield. I know that perhaps it seems like one of these things is not like the other, but just because it's in a different category than the other two movies, doesn't diminish it's appeal. Intimate, explosive and satisfying, it's brutal devastation of Manhattan is a feast for the senses. And, it's a fun popcorn flick that connects.

No comments: