Thursday, August 14, 2008

What does the rainbow mean to you?

My streeter at Pride appears in this edition of Xtra! West.

Interviews and photos by Andrea Warner

ABBY, VANCOUVER

What does the rainbow mean to you?

It makes me crave Skittles... No, it's a symbol of Pride worldwide, and a symbol of diversity.

How would you feel if the rainbows came down on Davie St?

I wouldn't like that. I like that we have a section where everyone knows that's the gay area of Vancouver, but where everyone is welcome.


BING, CHINA

What does the rainbow mean to you?

Diversity. I used to live in the West End, and I think it's a very good community here. Lots of possibility.

How would you feel if the rainbows came down on Davie St?

It's a little bit of a shame.

We came over here, and it's the best feature of Davie St.


SIENA AND KALEIGH, MAPLE RIDGE

What does the rainbow mean to you?

Sienna: It means Kaleigh!

Kaleigh: She's my straight supporter.

Sienna: I have a lot of gay friends, and I just support them all.

Kaleigh: The rainbow —it's such a bright, not easily unnoticed symbol. It's almost like the symbol itself is refusing to stay in the closet.

It's out there, it's a proud colour, it's there! The flag means being out there with who you are, not caring what anyone else says.

How would you feel if the rainbows came down on Davie St?

Sienna: I'd be very upset, I'd be confused. Why would they bring them down? Would they not want to support it?

Kaleigh: Why don't you just rename the street and change all the stores? It wouldn't be Davie. Come on.


GEORGE, VANCOUVER

What does the rainbow mean to you?

It's a lively sign of integrating people. When I see it, I know it expresses fairness.

How would you feel if the rainbows came down on Davie St?

It really doesn't worry me too much, just as long as we know what Davie St's about.


JOCELYNN, VICTORIA

What does the rainbow mean to you?

By the end of Pride season, if I see another rainbow flag, I want to scream. That being said, if they were to come down from Davie and all the other streets across Canada, it would be like taking away our sense of belonging. It says this is our place, this is our space.

It's hopefully a safe, open, accepting community.


ZIAD (LEFT) WITH STEINI, VANCOUVER

What does the rainbow mean to you?

Ziad: Multiculturalism. Everybody getting together, literally all the colours.

How would you feel if the rainbows came down on Davie St?

Ziad: That would be a bad thing. It really tells people, when they're walking up the road, that they're in the Village as opposed to any other part of town. It would be no different than having BC Place remove all the sports stuff, same with Chinatown, same with Main St. Get rid of one sign, get rid of them all, otherwise there's no distinction. It's just greater Vancouver.


MARLAS AND SHANNON, VANCOUVER

What does the rainbow mean to you?

Marlas: Diversity, different flavours, different cultures, different colours. Not just straight or gay but all different types of people.

Shannon: It means unity, diversity and harmony for all people, all colours.

How would you feel if the rainbows came down on Davie St?

Marlas: I love them up there.

I think it's great for when you walk into a new city it tells you right away that it's a gay-friendly community, and I would find that very welcome if I wasn't from here.

Shannon: I would be really sorry if the rainbows came down. I like that they create an identity for the community as a gay-friendly and distinct neighbourhood. I also think that this makes a city culturally rich.


JOHN, VANCOUVER

What does the rainbow mean to you?

It means all queer people together in solidarity.

How would you feel if the rainbows came down on Davie St?

I like that they're there, but I don't mind if they're represented in a slightly different way. I think they should be there frequently, but I don't think we own the neighbourhood. I think we need to live along with everyone who lives there.


TANYA, NORTH BURNABY

What does the rainbow mean to you?

To be proud, and it actually makes me smile every day.

How would you feel if the rainbows came down on Davie St?

I think it symbolizes the community, so I think it would detrimental to the community. I feel that if people come down here, they know that they're in somewhat of a safer environment than travelling in Burnaby for instance, where there is no rainbow flag.

No comments: